FAQ 2 (frequently asked questions) about VESC controller
1. What causes VESC Hall sensor detection failed?
- First you should know how to detect motor hall sensor in VESC_TOOL:
For example, here is the process of BLDC mode motor detection:
You can select sensored or hybrid:
- In detection process, after click “5”, motor doesn’t rotate:
- Motor and VESC three cables are not connected or connection is not good.
- If motor and VESC connections are good, please check if the detect parameters are suitable for your motor. You can try different “I”and “W”
- Detection may failed because of special motor structure (very special poles/slots quantity, winding type, etc).
- VESC or your motor is damaged. You can check and make a cross test if you have spare VESC or motor.
-In detection process, after click “5”, motor rotates but detection result is “Hall Erro 255”:
- Please check if hall sensor connection is correct or not.
Broken hall sensor cables or connectors, wrong connection sequence of the 6 pins will result this.
- If all above connections are good and correct, please detect motor several times.
If detect several times and all show “Hall Erro 255”, it’s because hall sensor is damaged.
2. When connect VESC to VESC Tool, it shows “limited mode”at the bottom and can’t adjust parameters:
It because your VESC firmware version is different from your VESC_TOOL version.
-Find the suitable VESC_TOOL version for your VESC.
-Update your VESC firmware by this VESC_TOOL: select your VESC hardware version and update the firmware.
3. Does VESC have cruise control for e-bike?
Yes. The cruise control function will maintain the current speed when current control is used and no throttle is given.
When only the ADC app is used, the TX pin is used for the cruise control button and the RX pin is used for the reverse button. When the ADC and UART apps are used at the same time, the servo input will be used as the button. In this case it will be used for the reverse button when a control mode with button is selected, otherwise it will be used for the cruise control button.